Spiced Apple Wine Cake has all of the tastes of fall! Apples are marinated with Lynfred Winery’s Spiced Apple Wine to add flavor and a little kick!
I originally going to add a custard wine sauce to add on top which would be more of a traditional Irish Custard Cake. Instead I added wine on the inside of the cake and it was surprisingly a delicious touch!
I used the Spiced Apple Wine from Lynfred Winery in Roselle, Illinois. This winery is a midwestern staple, and I always love to have this once a year. Since you only need 3 TBSP for the cake, you can enjoy the rest of it yourself. I like it cold or even heated for a warm spiced experience.
I also used granny smith apples for baking because I was able to find really high quality ones this time of year. If you can find really good honey crisp or pink lady apples those work well too.
Let’s start off with our crumb topping. Melt 1/4 cup unsalted butter. Once slightly cooled, add flour, sugars and cinnamon. You could also do only granulated sugar or only brown sugar. I really like the taste of granulated sugar, but brown sugar gives a little bit of color to the top.
Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. You could definitely play around and add ground cloves, cardamon, or a little more nutmeg. Anytime I’m using a leavening agent such as baking powder, I want to make sure that it’s mixed thoroughly. It must be spread throughout so that not only the cake rises, but you also won’t end up with pockets of unmixed baking powder.
Set up your wet ingredients. In another bowl, cream together the unsalted room temperature butter and granulated sugar. Once that’s incorporated, add your eggs one at a time. Finally, add your vanilla or vanilla bean paste. I’ve been using vanilla bean paste more often but vanilla extract works well too.
And now for another bowl. ( A lot of bowls, but it will be worth it) Marinade your apples in 3 TBSP apple wine. Toss with 3 TBSP flour after its coated in the wine.
Once apples are folded into the batter, throw it into your greased 9 inch cake pan.
Throw your finished crumb topping on top.
Bake 45-50 minutes at 350. Cool completely in pan before removing.
Spiced Apple Wine Cake
Crumb Topping Ingredients
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 granny smith apples peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Spiced Apple Wine
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Mix melted butter, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease one 9 inch cake pan.
- Whisk flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Cream unsalted butter and granulated sugar in an another bowl until it reaches wet sand. Slowly beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Stir in vanilla.
- Switch between adding dry ingredients and milk into the cream butter mixture until flour has disappeared.
- In a third bowl, combine the peeled, cored, and sliced apples with 3 TBS of Spiced Apple Wine. Once combined, add 3 TBS of flour.
- Fold the apple mixture into the cake mixture.
- Add crumb topping on top of the batter.
- Add to greased cake pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.