Moist, flavorful and full of fall spices from the pumpkin ale! I used the tasty Pumking Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Southern Tier Brewing Company. Its medium light body and flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice give this bread a punch of flavor without taking away from the moistness of the bread.
I’m always looking for ways to use pumpkin puree other than making pies. The label does say “Pumpkin Pie in Glass”. I wanted to see if I can really get the flavors imbedded into the recipe. Not only is it in the bread, but it’s also in the icing. Don’t worry, you will definitely have some leftover to enjoy sipping on after!
I used both melted butter and vegetable oil. You can definitely substitute using only either or. I think it adds a more complex structure and flavor
The addition of cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, a pinch of ginger bring out the flavors of the pumpkin bread. For salt, my go to is always Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt.
Pumpkin bread is a quickbread, which means it can be overworked. Therefore, do not overmix. Always combine until you no longer see flour.
Speaking of quick breads, always separate your dry and wet ingredients until right before baking.
Oil the bread pan before adding batter. It should come out very easily.
If you want to prep this, you can pre measure the dry ingredients ahead of time (flour, baking soda, salt, and spices). Everything else should be done right before.
Since the puree makes the bread moist, it’s a little difficult to see when the bread is done, so the toothpick should be relatively clean when you take it out.
Pumpkin Ale Bread
Pumpkin bread using pumpkin puree and pumpkin ale beer.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 7 ounces pumpkin puree canned
- 1/3 cup pumpkin ale beer
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt diamond crystal
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp vanilla optional
Pumpkin Ale Glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tbsp pumpkin ale beer
- 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 1 9x5 loaf pan with oil.
- Melt 1/4 cup unsalted butter in saucepan in medium low setting. Cool slightly.
- Combine melted butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, and pumpkin ale beer. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, ginger in a large bowl.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Combine until there is no more flour showing. (DO NOT OVER MIX)
- Add mixture to greased pan. Bake 1 hr- 1 hr 10 minutes.
- In a double boiler set to medium heat, combine powdered sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1.5 TBS of unsalted butter.
- Add pumpkin ale 1 TBS at a time until desired consistency.