Holiday baking is in full swing! I needed something extra to add to all of the baked goods I would be making this year. Dried fruits tend to be super expensive and also super addictive. This is an easy way to make it AND using a hoppy red ale from Revolution Brewing.
I used Revolution Brewing Fistmas. It is a red ale steeped with ginger and orange peel. Any beer that has an orange tone would work as well. At 6.5% ABV it packs a punch! Hoppy Holidays!
- Don’t slice too thin, or the orange slices will break
- Make sure it isn’t too thick either or it will not break down and you will taste the bitterness of the peel.
- Pick a beer that compliments the fruit you are going to use.
Beer Candied Oranges
- 4 medium oranges
- 4 cups water
- 2 12 oz beers
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- Slice oranges to 1/4 inch thick.
- Bring sliced oranges and 4 cups of water to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove into ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Dispose of water. Pour beer into saucepan. Dissolve sugar in beer and bring to a simmer. Place cold orange slices into pot. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring to make sure they are covered every 15 minutes.
- Remove with tongs onto a wire rack with parchment paper underneath. Rest for 24 hours until completely dry. Serve with chocolate sauce or cover with sugar.